ITR Rebate: HRA can save tax up to one lakh rupees, know the complete calculation of savings


How much HRA can be claimed in ITR: The Government of India has notified assessment forms (ITR forms for ay 2023 24) for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) by Individuals and Businesses for the financial year 2022-23.

- Advertisement -

Significantly, last year these forms were issued in the first week of April. Many types of investments help you to save income tax. One of these is House Rent Allowance ie HRA. If you are a salaried employee then you can take advantage of this. Let us tell you that to save tax, you can take advantage of HRA only in the old tax system. This will not be available in the new tax system.

Will get benefit in these circumstances

House rent allowance ie (HRA) in salary is a part of taxable income. Income tax is exempted under section 10 (13A) of the Income Tax Act. Keep in mind some circumstances for how much tax can be saved from HRA. In the situation in which the minimum amount will come, you can take advantage of tax exemption of HRA.

In the first situation, first of all, you should see how much HRA is there in the salary. HRA is 50% of the basic salary in metro cities and 40% of the salary in non-metro cities. The third condition is the amount left after deducting 10% of the annual salary from the annual house rent.

This is how you can save

You can understand how much you can save in HRA through an example. A person works in Delhi and lives in a rented house. His rent goes to 15 thousand rupees every month. He gets a maximum of one lakh rupees as HRA annually from his company. At the same time, his basic salary is 25 thousand rupees and dearness allowance is two thousand rupees. In this way, a salaried person can save a maximum of one lakh rupees.

These documents are necessary

To get exemption through house rent allowance, you must first have a rent agreement. Monthly rent, fixed time limit of the agreement, and expenses should be mentioned in this agreement. This rent agreement should be in stamp paper of Rs 100 or Rs 200. On the other hand, if the annual rent is more than one lakh rupees, then it is also necessary to have the PAN card of the landlord.

Apart from this, you should also have a receipt for paying the rent. Let us tell you that if your annual income is up to Rs 50 lakh, then you will have to fill Form 1 for ITR filing. Those earning more than 50 lakhs will have to fill ITR Form 2.

- Advertisement -