House Rent Allowance Rules Change: Big news for employees! Government changed the rules of house rent allowance of employees, Know the new rules applicable


7th Pay Commission News: If you are a central employee and are using or planning to take government accommodation, then this news is important for you. From the new year, the government has made some updates in the rules of House Rent Allowance (HRA) of central government employees.

- Advertisement -

According to the new rules implemented, now only some center employees will be eligible for House Rent Allowance. Actually, the Central Government provides the facility of house rent to its employees to live in a rented house, but now the Ministry of Finance under the Central Government has made some updates in the rules of HRA. This change has been made by the Department of Expenditure (DoE) of the Ministry of Finance.

These are the new rules

According to (DoE), the House Rent Allowance (HRA) rules for government employees have been updated. As per the updated rules, a government servant will not be eligible for HRA in certain cases. As per the new rule in force, an employee will not be entitled to HRA if he shares a government accommodation allotted to another government employee. That worker will not get the house rent of the government.

Further, as per the new rule, if an employee is staying with his parents/son/daughter in the accommodation allotted by the Central, State Government, Autonomous Public Sector Undertaking and Semi-Government organization like Municipality, Port Trust, Nationalized Bank, LIC etc. If he is living together then he too will not get the house rent.

Husband wife will not get house rent even at government residence

If the spouse of a Government Servant resides in the same station as the Government Servant in accommodation provided by any of the above institutions or separately, he/she shall not be entitled to HRK. In this situation, the government will not give house rent to that employee.

Housing allowance is available in three categories

The central government is for salaried people who live in rented houses and is divided into three categories for housing related expenses. These three categories are X, Y and Z. The ‘X’ category is for areas with a population of 50 lakhs and above. As per the recommendation of the Seventh Central Pay Commission (CPC), HRA is given at 24%. In ‘Y’ category, the government provides 16 per cent house rent for areas with a population between 5 lakh and 50 lakh. While in the ‘Z’ category, the government provides 8 percent house rent in areas with a population of less than 5 lakhs.

- Advertisement -