Indian Railways provides huge concession in ticket fares to students traveling for certain purposes. These concessions are given under certain categories. Special concessions are given to students studying outside home or going abroad for research.
These concessions can range from 25 per cent discount on ticket fares to free travel by railways.
Concession given by Railways to students: 10 points
- Indian Railways provides free travel facility to school and college going girls on MST (Monthly Season Ticket) of general class. This concession can be availed by girls till graduation. Boys can avail free travel up to class XII on general class MST in Indian Railways. The facility of free travel in general class trains on MST is also available to the students of registered madrassas.
- Students studying in government schools in rural areas and traveling for their entrance exams are entitled to a 75 per cent discount on train tickets. This concession is available only on general class train travel.
- Students traveling to appear for the main written examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and the Central Staff Selection Commission can apply for 50 per cent concession in train fare. The concession is available only for general class travel in trains.
- Students living away from home are entitled to get concessional tickets in trains to go to their hometowns. The same facility is also available for educational tours undertaken by the students. Under this facility, general category students are entitled to 50 per cent discount on sleeper class tickets. Those holding MST or QST (Quarterly Season Ticket) can also get 50 per cent discount.
- Students belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST) categories are entitled to sleeper class tickets as well as 75 per cent discount on MST and QST.
- There are special concessions for research students. Indian Railways provides 50 per cent concession on travel tickets for research work by students up to 35 years of age. This discount is available on sleeper class tickets.
- If a student is going to attend a work-camp, he is entitled to 25 per cent discount on sleeper class tickets.
- Similarly, students enrolled in government schools in rural areas can get a concession of 75 per cent on general class train tickets for a study tour once a year.
- Foreign students studying in India are entitled to a 50 per cent discount on sleeper class train tickets if they are traveling to attend a camp or seminar organized by the Government of India. The same exemption is given for visiting historical places during holidays.
- Indian Railways gives 50 per cent concession to cadets and marine engineer apprentices going for merchant marine shipping or engineering training. This concession is available for round-trip of the training programme.